Designing a more streamlined TD My Spend App to align with TD’s mission, so users can spend less time analyzing data and more time into saving their money.
Hossein Boroji and Shaina Danzinger
Figma, Balsamiq, InVision, Pen & paper
Toronto Dominion Bank
UX/UI Designer, UX Writer, UX Researcher
The TD MySpend App helps users keep track of their money to help improve their spending habits.
Our first step in the redesign process was exploring what we do know about the current state of the app. How many users use it? What is the main demographic like? After scouring the web, we noticed some patterns.
The takeaways: looking at these numbers, it is evident that Millennials are increasingly relying on mobile apps to do their banking. Whether it's to save, transfer money, or view their spending history, people are growing more and more trusting towards technology. It’s important to understand that the TD MySpend app is a relevant and popular form of banking/tracking and that Millennials are more heavily inclined to use it.
Understanding that Millennials are more likely to be using the TD MySpend app, we created a persona. We merged our findings to represent what we felt best personified the “sticky”, or returning user. Including ‘Catherine’s’ pain points and struggles ensured that we would keep our design entirely human centred.
Because the TD MySpend app has various features, we chose to work on redesigning the features that would:
We mapped out the various tasks a user may journey through, and prioritized from there.
Creating a journey map gave us the opportunity to gain a more robust understanding of our target user and how they’d be interacting with the app. We understood pivotal moments of design intervention and used it as a groundwork for building our redesign.
We went on to categorize our user’s challenges, motivations, and tasks - again, helping us pick apart our target users and relate to them completely. We realized that some of the charts and graphics were doing more harm than good, because of the lack of clarity. The categories tab seemed ambiguous and messy. We wrote these down to organize and be able to refer to as we make our changes.
Using Balsamiq to break down the existing pages of TD My Spend App. Collaborating with Hossein and Shaina, we came up with an easier way to use the navigational flow.
Using all the groundwork we established, we began redesigning the screens. We kept in mind that our user is a busy millennial, pressed for time and perhaps not the most financially literate. We prioritized changing the look of the transaction history to make the cards clean and much easier to reference. Changing the donut graph to a bar graph reflected the user’s spending in a more accurate, intelligible way. We also redesigned the categories and menu to allow easier navigation for the users.
Although we gathered insights towards some small details (hierarchy, etc), for the most part our redesign was well-received. People found it natural and easy to follow. Being that we limited our sprint to 1 week, we did not iterate on our feedback, but if we had the time we would have charted our feedback and prioritized which changes to make.
02 Building on Feedback for Enhanced Design
Due to the nature of this Design Challenge, this project was completed in less than a week. As a result we were not given the chance to iterate our screens based on the feedback we received in our Usability testing. Going forward, I’d love to make the changes charted from our feedback and improve certain features of the screens.